Thursday, May 13, 2010

Okra With Tomatoes And Shallots


I rarely cook okra (ladies' fingers) these days because the way I like it - cut into small bits and sauteed thoroughly until crisp - takes a lot of time. It also means I have to use up the okra I've bought right away because they seem to toughen otherwise.

Today I used a packet I've had for a week. This is a recipe that's very simple to put together and for the first time, I used shallots instead of onion and a bit of spice in addition to the salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. I loved it even though it turned out a little more spicy than I intended it to.

Prepare the okra by washing them and drying them thoroughly. Spread them on a piece of cloth or newspaper and let them dry for a while to be extra sure. They're famous for their slime and you don't want that!

You can top and tail the okra, even retain the pointy tops.

Okra, cut into 1-inch pieces: 2 cups (You can even MW them after cutting them, for 30 secs, just to zap any stray water off them)
Sour tomatoes, quartered: 2 handfuls
Shallots, peeled: 6-10

Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Salt: To taste
Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1/4-1/2 tsp

Oil: 2 tsp
Mustard seed: 1/2-1 tsp
Cumin: 1/2 tsp

Heat the oil and pop the mustard and then the cumin.

Saute the shallots just till they turn colour.

Add the tomatoes, cook till they start getting soft.

Add the spices and mix well.

Now add the okra and saute well. There will be a little goo but don't worry, it will disappear soon. Keep sauteing till the goo goes off.

Lower the flame and let the flavours meld for a while before switching off the heat.

They were somewhat al dente as they weren't fresh but I quite liked the texture!

Bon appetit!


Here's a little more complicated dish with okra and tamarind.

3 comments:

Mallika

Looks lovely. Just posted on how to get them goo free, and crisp without frying. Great minds, heh?

Lori Lynn

Sounds delicious. I look forward to cooking with fresh okra!
LL

Cynthia

This is a vegetable I buy weekly and absolutely love done any which way.

I understand what you mean about that crisp thing. What my mom (and I still do) is to slice it thin and put it in the sun and dry out a lot of the moisture, that way, it does not take a long time to cook.

I don't mine the silkiness though :) I just love this vegetable.

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP