Thursday, February 11, 2010

ABOUT

This blog is borne out of a challenge I threw out to readers when I hosted my first Vegan Dinner in December 2009. One of the things I learnt during the process of preparing for the meal is that there were lots of dishes that I already cooked that were considered vegan and vegetarian, it's just that I never labelled it that way. So, I asked some friends and readers if they'd like us to get together and create an online journal where we would note (post) whenever we can, the vegan and vegetarian foods we prepare and eat... and at the end of the year, we can review and evaluate. I also thought that it would be a good way for us to get ideas from each other given that we are all coming from different backgrounds, cultures and eating styles. For example, I eat meat and love it! But, I also enjoy vegan and vegetarian food and it doesen't hurt to always strive to have variety and to bring some balance to our food intake.

Head on over to the Contributors to meet us.

You're welcome to join us, just send an email to: greatvegproject@gmail.com and one of us will get back to you soon.

Vegetarianism is a pattern of food intake that eliminates some or all animal products and falls into the following categories:

Vegan - avoids all animal foods and their by-products. Vegans consume fruits, vegetables, starchy fruits, roots and tubers, cereals, seeds, nuts and legumes.

Lacto Vegetarian - avoids animal flesh, eggs and seafood but consumes dairy products and fruits, vegetables, starchy fruits, roots and tubers, cereals, seeds, nuts and legumes.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian - avoids animal flesh and seafood but consumes eggs and dairy products, fruits, vegetables, starchy fruits, roots and tubers, cereals, seeds, nuts and legumes.

Pesco-Vegetarian - consumes fish and dairy products, fruits, vegetables, starchy fruits, roots and tubers, cereals, seeds, nuts and legumes.

Semi-Vegetarian - avoids all red meat, consumes fish and poultry and fruits, vegetables, starchy fruits, roots and tubers, cereals, seeds, nuts and legumes.

Thanks for visiting!

Please note that this is a commercial-free site.

5 comments:

Srivalli

This is a wonderful project..As we know most Indian food is Veg and Vegan, though we hardly think in that term!..Kudos to take on this project, will check on for ides for sure..

Shivani

Thats good to know more about Vegetarian and Vegan Diet, thumbs up to your work. Keep it up

Anonymous

I am glad that there is someone out there who thinks being a vegetarian is so cool. Keep it up!!!

Anonymous

Your team's aspiration is commendable...Please keep up the good work to benefit more vegans and vegetarians etc...I thank you from the bottom of my heart :)

Hyma

Thia ia such a lovely project. Especially to see a site with no commercials is so nice! My best wishes to your team and yes, I would like to join and contribute too...

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP