Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Broccolini, Chickpeas, and Harissa


Harissa is tossed with broccolini and chickpeas, giving this simple pairing of a vegetable and beans a spicy exotic flavor.




Broccolini, a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale, also has flavors reminiscent of asparagus.


Cook trimmed broccolini in boiling salted water for 4 minutes then add a can of rinsed drained chickpeas to the pot for 30 seconds more to warm them through. Drain. Toss with Harissa, olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Finish with a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.


This French brand of Harissa is made with hot chiles, tomato puree, onion, salt, coriander, garlic, cumin, vegetable oil. It has a good balance of heat to the other flavors and spices.



On My Desk


I just had to share these pretty roses from my garden.



  • Bright Red/Orange: Wildfire Hybrid Tea Rose

  • Yellow: Julia Child Floribunda

  • Pink: David Austin Heritage Old English Rose


Like broccolini? Also try spicy broccolini with torn ciabatta croutons here.



Lori Lynn

Taste With The Eyes


where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

8 comments:

Cynthia

Like I've said to you before over at Taste with the Eyes, everything you make, I want to eat :)

The flowers are beautiful. Flowers really brighten up everything don't they?

meghs

Wow!! the flowers are truly divine:) What exactly is this Harissa?

Swati Sapna

hey,
i have had a bottle of harissa in my fridge for a month now and had no idea how to use it best. this seems like a great recipe to start with - simple, and looks yummy :)
love the pics too!
-Swati

tasteofbeirut

The broccoli and chickpea dish sounds yummy! right up my alley, I eat chickpea all the time!
By the way, the flowers look so beautiful!

Jhonny walker

I love harrsa..and I don;t have one :( But this dish wants me to mak eit so bad ..that about time I had a bottle of harissa handy!

shriya

OMG Mindblowing pics. Really lovely clicks. Love the vase and stand. You have a very beautiful collections of recipes here.

Sangeetha

Have never tried brocollini! Should try it someday.
The dish and the flowers look gorgeous!

Lori Lynn

Hello All - and thank you for your kind comments! It's a simple recipe, but the combination of flavors is terrific!
LL

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP