Thursday, April 29, 2010

Colorful Red Quinoa not so Tabbouleh Salad

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

Do you know how much you put in your mouth? It is incredible that calories add up, and if I did not have a consistent work out no wonder I was gaining weight. Since my husband and I have been counting calories we have been working out consistently.
One of the things I have been enjoying is using my juicer. I have been experimenting with different vegetables and only juicing twice a week. This is what I had:

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen
On the left are leftover stems from my red kale I used, along with some broccoli stems,ginger, parsley, cabbage and carrots and Oh, some beets as well. It was very delicious and very filling.

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

If you have never juiced before, try it! It is invigorating and gives you a slight punch of energy after drinking it. You can even save the pulp and make muffins with them! I have yet to try it but I will soon.


Another recipe I created this past week was a quinoa salad. I have eaten quinoa before as breakfast cereal or as a side with my veggies but not as a salad. Since I like tabbouleh so much, I decided to start with that idea in mind and go from there.


Did you know that quinoa is a complete protein? It is a complete protein because it has all the essential amino acids to make it so. So this is healthier than wheat or rice. The Incans called it the "mother of all grains, " so why not partake of something they knew was a healthy and needed?


Before you starting cooking, always rinse quinoa before cooking it because it has an outer layer that makes it bitter. Once you wash the quinoa, the flavor, once cooking it, becomes milder. Enjoy this recipe!

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

Colorful Red Quinoa not so Tabbouleh Salad


serves 4 small portions or 2 hearty portions


1 cup red quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
5 red radishes, diced
5 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup yellow pepper,diced
1/2 cup English cucumber, diced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin
3 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil


Wash the 1 cup of quinoa in a colander for several seconds. Add quinoa, water and salt to a small pot and boil for 15 minutes. You will know it is cooked when it becomes soft and you see little white antennas pop from the grain.


Meanwhile, wash all your veggies well and chop and dice them accordingly.


Add all the veggies to a medium glass bowl and toss. In a small bowl mix the red wine vinegar, olive oil and all the spices and blend well. Add the vinagrette to the salad and enjoy.


Will keep for 1 day, but best eaten the same day.

3 comments:

Lori Lynn

Sounds delicious!

Your post is colorful alright, right down to your nail polish!
LL

singerinkitchen

Ha ha, thanks!

Cynthia

This is a feast for the eyes! and like LL said, right down to the nail polish.

It is a pleasure to see your first post!

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP