Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vegan Mince


I bought a huge, almost blemish-free cauliflower that yielded enough material to last me three or four days. I minced the last batch today in the grinder and it yielded about two cups.

I pressure cooked it with literally two splashes of water (less than 1/4 cup), some salt, a little turmeric and two green chillies. There shouldn't be any water swimming in the cooker when you open it - if there is, boil it off.

There were a handful of peeled shallots withering in the fridge, so I minced those too.

Then I heated about 2 tsp of oil and tempered it with

1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp split and hulled black gram/urad dal
1-2 tsp Bengal gram dal/chana dal
A sprig of curry leaves

Once it all spluttered and popped and sizzled, I added the shallots and sauteed them till they wilted further.


Then I added the cauliflower mince and mixed it well and stirred it till it was well blended. Finis!

I also have a post on a cauliflower stalk curry on my blog.

3 comments:

Cynthia

The more I live, the more I learn. Nice going Sra.

Cham

At first glance, look like upma- never did by grating...Good one!

Cara

I am a big fan of grating and steaming cauliflower too. I often use it in place of rice. Nice work!

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP