Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm trying... with breakfast

Those of you who have been reading me for a while, know all too well that I am really not into breakfast. Since last summer I have been making a huge effort to eat breakfast and to do so regularly. To that end, I have been having oatbran and would interchange with cornmeal porridge but it gets soooooo boring after a while. Anyway, I will keep plodding on.




Earlier in the week I woke up hungry and eyed the 2 ripened plantains. I contemplated pan-frying them, they are sugary good when they are very ripe, but, I restrained myself and decided to boil them instead and have them with a pat of herb butter. Hey, it was the butter or frying!

To wash it all down, I made some bay leaf tea.




Ingredients

2 very ripe plantains (skin should be black in many places)
A pat of butter (optional)
Water

Directions

  1. Cut off the top and bottom of each plantain leaving the skin intact
  2. Place the plantains into a pot and fill with water until it comes half-way up the plantains. Cover the pot, place on high heat and bring to a boil
  3. Let boil until the skin on the plantains burst. Drain
  4. When cool enough to handle, remove skin, slice diagonally and pat with butter and chow down!

For the Bay Leaf Tea

4 - 5 fresh or dry bay leaves
1 + 1/2 cups water

  1. Add the water and bay leaves to a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes
  2. Leave the pot covered and let tea steep for another 3 minutes or longer if you want your tea stronger
  3. Sweeten to taste with sugar and a splash of milk (sweetening is optional)

11 comments:

Vrinda

First time to ur blog...i lov ripe plantains,so simple and very healthy one...nice clicks...

Unknown

If someone served me such a gorgeous looking breakfast, i'd give them a BIG hug :) Love the colours and the bay leaf tea sounds good!
I'd love to join your project, but worried if I'll be able to manage it :)

Lori Lynn

I got tired of oatmeal really fast too!
The tea sounds great. And my oh my what a pretty breakfast!
LL

Lisa Johnson

It's easy to get stuck in a breakfast rut. I do the same thing with oatmeal. This looks like a nice change! Have a good weekend Cynthia! ; )

sra

What a colour! I had a plain banana today after ages!

Sangeetha

The plantains look nice. I am very intrigued by the bay leaf tea...is that native to the Caribbean?

Cynthia

@ Sangeetha - I am not sure if it is native to the Caribbean... but it is made widely in these parts. I think, that like so many of the foods we make here, there are an adaptation of what was made here during slavery and indentureship in the colonial era.

Cham

I cannot stand the smell of ripe banana but ur pict of plantain makes me think again!

Padmajha

I am sure my lil angel would love to have this anytime

Foehre

Interesting idea.
I usually eat the ripe plantains fried (and love them!), but I don't dare eating that too much, because I don't want to fry everyday.
Now you give me hope, that there are healthier ways to enjoy ripe plantains! :)
Thank you!

Raaga

I love steamed plantains... but it has been ages since I even saw them

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP