Saturday, February 20, 2010

Southwestern Tofu Scramble

I am pretty excited writing my first post here and thought it would be fitting if I write about my new found Love-Tofu!!

Fresh tofu is available everyday at the farmers market here and I just can't pass that shop without getting a block of tofu and now this has a special place in my heart..errr..palette.

This recipe is adapted from Vegetarian times . It may be similar to the tofu bhurji I prepare often but with a few changes.



I used:

Tofu-1 block,drained and crumbled
Capsicum-1/2 ,chopped
Carrot-1 small,grated
Onion-1/2,chopped
Tomato-1,small,chopped
Garlic-2 cloves,grated
Cumin powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
Chilli sauce-1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin-1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil-1 teaspoon

1. In a bowl put in crumbled tofu, chilli sauce, cumin powder,turmeric powder,salt and mix well. Let it marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put in cumin seeds.
3. When it splutters put in onion and garlic and sauté till transparent.
4. Next in goes the tomato and cook till soft.
5. Add the tofu mixture and mix well.
6. Stir for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.


This can be served as a side dish with rice / chapathi and can also be used as a sandwich filling.

Bon Appetit...

7 comments:

sra

The marination is new to me! I remember your MLLA post on fresh tofu in China! Would love to see a market like that.

Cynthia

I've had tofu only at Chinese restaurants in the US, stir-fry with veggies and hot sauces and it always tasted good. The first time I had it and came home hoping to try using more tofu but it is not widely available here and when you do find it, it is widely expensive and I am always suspicious of the packaging.

You're lucky to be living somewhere that you can get it fresh and readily available especially since it is now your new found love :)

Padmajha

Yea Sra,I love that market and am going there rite now:)

Cynthia,I too don't trust packaged tofu and prefer the fresh ones and they are very cheap here.I am experimenting different dishes with it and always they tastes great!!

Sangeetha

I never knew there was something like the fresh tofu. I always thought that tofu came in those packages. Duh!

The scramble looks awesome!

Joanne

I love tofu...what an excellent thing to discover! I have seen these omelets but haven't tried them yet. Yours looks delicious!

Lori Lynn

YAY for your first post PJ!

Such a pretty presentation with the cilantro.

I eat a lot of tofu, never had fresh! Can't wait to try it!
LL

Padmajha

Sangeetha,I had never tired tofu till I came here.I have seen very few packged tofu here and I prefer the fresh ones.

Thanks Joanne..

Thanks Lori,try it let me know how it turned out..

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP