I first saw this Pepper Roti on Simply Trini Cooking back in November and bookmarked it to try. I made it today and it did not disappoint. Frankly speaking, I was not sure what to expect - cheese, potatoes, carrots and aromatics as a stuffing for a roti? Hmmmm. See, the recipe here with step by step photographs and please note the following:
- I used 3/4 teaspoon baking powder instead of the 3 teaspoons that the recipe calls for (Trinidadians and Guyanese use different ratios of flour to baking powder for their roti).
- Be sure to squeeze out the excess water from the potatoes
- I used 6 cloves of garlic instead of the 10 and that was just right for my taste
- Use coriander (cilantro) in place of chadon beni (culantro)
- Use hot pepper to suit your taste
- Once the pan or tawah is heated, reduce the heat to low; this roti takes about 20 - 25 mintues to cook so that the filling can cook through
- I have a 10-inch tawah and as a result made two of these instead of just one showed in the recipe; in other words, divide the dough into 4 instead of 2
Serve very warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!