Friday, February 19, 2010

Pepper Roti

I first saw this Pepper Roti on Simply Trini Cooking back in November and bookmarked it to try. I made it today and it did not disappoint. Frankly speaking, I was not sure what to expect - cheese, potatoes, carrots and aromatics as a stuffing for a roti? Hmmmm. See, the recipe here with step by step photographs and please note the following:

  • I used 3/4 teaspoon baking powder instead of the 3 teaspoons that the recipe calls for (Trinidadians and Guyanese use different ratios of flour to baking powder for their roti).
  • Be sure to squeeze out the excess water from the potatoes
  • I used 6 cloves of garlic instead of the 10 and that was just right for my taste
  • Use coriander (cilantro) in place of chadon beni (culantro)
  • Use hot pepper to suit your taste
  • Once the pan or tawah is heated, reduce the heat to low; this roti takes about 20 - 25 mintues to cook so that the filling can cook through
  • I have a 10-inch tawah and as a result made two of these instead of just one showed in the recipe; in other words, divide the dough into 4 instead of 2

Serve very warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Lori Lynn

Lookin' absolutely delicious!

YAY for first posts and thanks for creating this unique blog, Cynthia, it is going to rock!
LL

sra

This reminds me somewhat of the spring rolls we get here in Chinese restaurants/menus. The wrapper is different, of course, but it looks very similar!

Unknown

Tried these last night - I mixed atta and ap flour, added a fat pinch of dried mint to the flour itself. I did not know if the raw potatoes would cook inside the roti, so used lightly boiled peeled and grated tomatoes and cilantro instead of the green leaves recommended. I got three big final pieces, made 6 balls from the dough, did not want a very thick covering and used just 2 cheese cubes - but we REALLY loved it...thanks for recommending this.

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP