Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts and Radish

This is my first post here. I am going to start off with something simple and nutritious. Brussel sprouts and radishes. Two ingredients I don't go gaga over but I try to include them in my diet in an effort to expand my finicky palate. And who can resist their cutenes, they look so bright and inviting, no?



To remove the dullness of eating raw radishes, I decided to toss them in with the sprouts and saute them in butter with a dash of spices. Here's what you need:

Basics
     1 tbsp Butter or olive oil

Veggies
     1 pound Brussel sprouts
     1/2 pound Radishes
     1 medium onion, finely chopped
     1 or 2 jalapenos, finely chopped

Seasonings
     Grated ginger ~ 2tsp
     Cumin powder (optional)
     Salt
     Pepper




Here's how you make it:
  •  Chop the hard end of the sprouts and remove the outer leaves if they are yellow. You could either halve them or quarter them. Chop the radishes to thin slices.
  • Heat some olive oil or butter in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the  the jalapenos and onions and fry till transparent.
  • Then add the cut bruseel sprouts and radishes. Keep on medium heat. Cover and cook them in their own sweat till tender (usually 10 mins)
  • Season with ginger, cumin powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook some more (~ 5 mins), tossing gently to not break the brussel sprouts too much.
Variations: You could add a spoon of brown sugar to sweteen it just a tiny bit. This dish can be made with any combination of fresh vegetables.

The sabzi turned out much better than expected and was devoured by my family ravishingly. Interestingly,  the radishes had absorbed the flavors more strongly than the robust brussel sprouts. This dish can be served with rice, roti or rolled up in a pita. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cynthia

Look how gorgeous they look together in the pan! The textures I would imagine played off of each other well and the flavourings you used I am sure made it outstanding.

Padmajha

For some reason I didn't like brussel sprouts when I was a kid but looking at ur sabzi,I think it would be delicious!!!

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP