Monday, July 28, 2014

Masala Barnyard Millet Porridge

This space has been silent for too long and I thought of dropping in and post something here.A simple and healthy breakfast dish that is also quick to prepare is the one that is going to be featured here today...

I cannot dream of having sweet porridge for breakfast.No matter how much I love oats, I can never have have the sweet version. However I do love the masala oats porridge and the savory porridge with buttermilk.So naturally, I thought of making a savory porridge with some nice masala twist using millet. 



I used:

Barnyard millet- 1/4 cup
Mixed parboiled vegetables- as needed [ I used carrots, beans,cauliflower and potato]
Sambar powder- 11/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste

Boil 4 cups of water in a pan and when it stats boiling add sambar powder and salt.Put in the millet and cover and cook on medium flame till the millet is cooked.

Add the vegetables and mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on medium flame. Add more water if needed to get the porridge consistency.Remove from heat and serve with a side dish of your choice.



Note:
  • Usually 3 cups of water is sufficient to cook the millet. I added 4 cups to get a semi solid consistency.
  • You can use any masala of your choice instead of sambar powder like garam masala,pav bhaji masala ,curry powder ,etc.
  • You can serve this with pickle / roasted vegetables.


What a tasty spoonful!


Looking for more Millet based recipes?Check out  this link...

Bon Appetit ...




Catch me cooking @ Seduce Your Tastebuds

1 comments:

So

PJ, I have been reading all your blogs from the past few days and I am impressed with your time management skills. How do you manage to do all this despite having kids and a busy life schedule. Hats off to you !!!!

Anyways, I wanted to ask, if its possible for us also to be a contributor to this website, because I am all about veg cooking and would like to promote vegetarianism too. Hence the question. Is there a specific process ?

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP