Kulfi is an Indian Style Ice cream that can be prepared without using an Ice cream maker. It comes in many flavors and the most favorite one is this saffron flavored chiller.
My first indulgence of authentic kulfi was in Jaipur,North India, during my college days.We had been there for a tour and our gang indulged in this so much that the vendor literally ran out of stock!
Usually they are served in small Earthenware or on Popsicle sticks. I froze them in both...
Full fat milk -1 liter
Condensed milk- 1/2 tin
Sugar - 1/4 cup [adjust to taste]
Cornflour - 2 tablespoons
Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Saffron - a few strands, soaked in a tablespoon of warm milk
Chopped pistachio nuts- 1/2 cup
- Take the corn flour in a small bowl and add a little milk to it and make a thin paste without lumps. Keep aside
- Heat the remaining milk,condensed milk,sugar and bring to boil. Simmer till it reduces to 3/4 the original volume.Scrap off the cream from the sides and add to the milk so that it is all the more creamier.
- Put in the corn flour mixture and stir well without any lumps.
- Cook for a few minutes till the mixture thicken a little more
- Gently rub the saffron into the milk in which it is soaked and add it to the milk mixture.
- Next in goes the chopped nuts and cardamom powder.
- Remove form heat and cool completely.
- Pour into Kulfi molds / Popsicle molds / Earthen pots[cover with a foil before freezing].Freeze till set and serve....
Absolutely delicious Kulfi ready!!!!