Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cottage Cheese in Thin Gravy


I've stayed away from thin gravies because I've always wanted to perfect a thick gravy. Most of my thick gravies come from tomato and onion and while they taste good, the looks are less than pleasing, and the effort to make them look good continues. So I surprised myself when I found myself attracted to a recipe of Paneer in Light Gravy from a book on Bengali cuisine that I own, called Pumpkin Flower Fritters.

I also liked this recipe because it calls for using coriander in the cooking, and not merely as a garnish at the end. It's been a while since I did that, and I'm glad I was reminded of it because it really tastes good.

Here's my version of the recipe:

Cottage Cheese/Paneer: 250 gm, cubed
Tomato, chopped: 1 cup
Dry ginger powder OR Fresh ginger, chopped: 1 tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves, minced: 1 tbsp
Bay leaves: 1 big or 2 small

Tempering
Cumin seed/jeera: 1 tsp
Green chilli, slit: 2-3
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Water: 1/2 cup

In the oil, fry the paneer till light brown and reserve.

Temper the same oil with the cumin. Add the bay leaves, the ginger and the garam masala - make sure all this has been done on the lowest heat.

When it's fragrant, add the tomato, coriander and the green chillies.

Add the salt and saute till the gravy turns red and the tomato is well cooked.

Add the paneer and saute.

Now add the water. Let the paneer soak up the spices.

The books says to serve this with chapatis or luchis (deep fried bread) but I just made a soupy meal of it!

9 comments:

Cynthia

Sra, here's a tease: the gravy looks thick (lol)

Pavithra Elangovan

Looks too good and creamy...

sra

Cynth, ah, you break my heart!
Pavithra, hardly creamy, I dunno why it looks like that to Cynthia and you!

Cham

I prefer thin gravy for idli, roti,etc.. but somehow never got a good one! Like the base of gravy should try with a veggie! Different one Sra!

Lori Lynn

That really sounds good. I've never seen anything like it.
LL

Deepika

I feel this would actually go great with steamed jeera rice or rice that has been lightly seasoned with spices and ghee. Definitely will try it.

Padmajha

Looks yum..will try it with tofu..

sra

Cham, yeah, it's quite different!
Lori, I've seen stuff like this, never really cared for thin gravies before.
Deepika, yes, it would
PJ, did you?

Nolan

Loovely blog you have

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP