Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Batterd Broccoli

The other day I just seemed to be unable to stop eating. I found myself rather nibbly and that is out of character for me, I am generally not a snacker or in-between meals eater.

I took out the 2 heads of broccoli I had in the fridge and stared at them. I was not enthusiastic about eating it. As you probably know, when you want a snack, you want something in which you can truly indulge. I decided that I was going to batter and fry the broccoli. I ate it very warm with some sour (which it definitely needs).




To be frank with you, I ate it because I had made it and would feel guilty about wasting food. For me, it tasted just okay. I thought that I'd post about it because it might be the kind of thing that someone else would enjoy.




INGREDIENTS

2 large heads of broccoli; florets separated
1/2 cup split-pea powder
1/4 cup corn starch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon table salt
Water
Oil for deep frying

DIRECTIONS

  1. Add the split pea powder, corn starch, baking powder, cayenne pepper and salt to a medium bowl and mix thoroughly
  2. Add water to make a batter (not as thick as a pancake batter but not as thin as a crepe batter, you're looking for something in-between). Set aside batter
  3. Heat oil to 350 degrees in a karahi, wok or deep pot/pan
  4. Add florets to batter and toss to coat thoroughly
  5. Shake off excess batter from each floret and fry in batches
  6. Drain on paper towels
  7. Serve very warm with sour or a chutney of your choice

2 comments:

Deepika

We make this with cauliflower here, though of late deep fried food has become rather taboo. :)

There's something beautiful about broccoli though. That vivid green beneath the quiet ochre, like brown hills and lush green valleys.

Lovely pictures!

sra

They look so pretty!

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP