Sunday, February 14, 2010

Heart Healthy Pasta, Mushroom "Cream" Sauce

100% Whole Wheat Orzo Pasta
Italian Brown Mushrooms Sautéed in Olive Oil
Fresh Herbs
Creamy Tofu Sauce

Sauté sliced Italian Brown mushrooms in olive oil.
Meanwhile cook 100% whole wheat orzo al dente.

Season mushrooms with a small amount of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Add some of your favorite fresh herbs. I added fresh savory.

This sauce is rich and creamy and has a deep umami flavor.
Try it on all your vegetables!

Blend one block (14 oz.) of firm tofu with 1/2 c. canola oil, 1/2 c. water and 2-3 T. each low-sodium Tamari and Bragg Liquid Aminos until smooth.

To serve: Place warm pasta in bowls, top with a generous amount of mushrooms and then the tofu "cream" sauce. Add your favorite fresh herbs (we had chives on hand). For a nice presentation, let everyone mix their own ingredients at the table.

It is an honor to be a contributor to this new blog, The Great VEGA'N VEGETARIAN Project. Deepest thanks to Cynthia Nelson for putting it all together. I look forward to all the wonderful recipes and inspiration this blog will provide.

To Our Healthy Hearts!
Lori Lynn

UPDATE:
I've been making this tofu sauce for years, here are some tasty variations to try:

Decrease Tamari to 1 T. then add any of the following ingredients
  • Add fresh lemon juice and fresh oregano.
  • Add curry powder.
  • Add hot sauce, toasted sesame oil, lime juice, and cilantro.
  • Add fresh basil or parsley.
  • Add walnuts and roasted red peppers.
  • Add minced garlic and chipotle chile.
We'd love to hear about your delicious blend!

6 comments:

sra

Good for you Lori, posting already, I'll take another couple of days!

Cynthia

Lori, I just may give tofu a try afterall. I like the creamy consistency of this sauce. I take it that I can stir in fresh herbs if I wanted to when using it for other things?

Hmmmm, I'm here thinking how it would hold up in a macaroni pie, using whole wheat or regular pasta and mozarella cheese. Definitely worth a try.

Congratulations on your first post! Yay! :)

Joanne

I have definitely been wanting to try tofu cream sauce for a while now. THe way you describe it makes it sound so delicious. I am always trying to recreate that umami flavor!

Lori Lynn

Thanks sra, Cyn, and Joanne!
YAY for the new blog! I think I'll go update the post with some tasty variations.
LL

Cynthia

Thanks for the suggested variations!

Padmajha

Yay!!!Lori u made the first post!!!I will start by this weekend..

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP