Friday, July 2, 2010

Kachourie

Kachourie

It's been while but I'm still around cooking as usual. Lately, I have been dealing with copyright infringement of some my pictures and I am saddened by the incident which has left a bitter taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. Nevertheless, time heals all wounds. I shall rise.

Enough about me, here's a wonderful Trini recipe that has it's roots from our East Indian heritage on the island. Enjoy :-)



KACHOURIE

1 lb. channa (garbanzo)
1/2 cup split peas
1/2 tsp. turmeric
2 tbsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. green seasoning







Soak the channa and split peas overnight and drain.



Grind both peas. Then place in a deep bowl.


Note: I used my trusty magic bullet, but you can also use a food processor.



This is how the processed peas looks.






Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.



Heat oil in a deep pot, over a low flame.



Gather a bit of the kachourie mixture in your hands and shape into patties.




Carefully place kachourie in the hot oil to fry.



Flip the kachourie so they can cook on both sides.






When golden remove and drain on tissue. Serve with your favourite chutney.


Join me on facebook
Download my free toolbar


6 comments:

Bonnie

That looks delicious!

Sangeetha

Ah! that looks yummy! Also reminds me of the masala vada from Tamil Nadu

Felix

It sure is yummy, especially when you add the chutney :-)

Cynthia

Like Sangeetha says, this so reminds me of vadas. I have pics of vadas I've made - saving it for a column. These are wonderful aren't they? Love this stuff and it is a great way to get your protein.

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/

Very good.

Vanamala Hebbar

Nice recipe...

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP