A few weeks ago while watching Travel and Living channel,Madhur Jaffrey made this delightful dessert and I was hooked on to it.Lil Angel who was watching this show was equally tempted.We [Lil angel and me] are huge fans of the cooking series in Travel and Living.We love to watch Kylie Kwang,Nigella Lawson ,Madhur Jaffrey and all those delightful chefs turn their kitchen into heaven!!!.So, Madhur Jaffrey was on TV and we both were literally drooling as she prepared a Gujarati meal-Amrakhand, Dokla, Kandhvi.Each dish surpassed the other in simplicity and visual appeal.
Now to the recipe-Amrakhand is a fruity version of the creamy Shrikhand.Shrikhand ,as you are aware,is the sweetened creamy hung yogurt flavored with cardamom and saffron.A sweet dessert from Gujarat,it can be savored as such or as a side dish to Roti / Poori.
This is one of those 'make-ahead' desserts when you have a large crowd and want to have an impressing spread of dishes.Or,you can enjoy it all by yourself on hot summer days when you crave for something cool and delicious.
Thick curd / Yogurt - 3 cups [Please see note at the bottom of the post]
Sugar- less than 1/4 cup ,depending on the sweetness of the mangoes
Mango pulp-1 1/2 cups
Nuts and mango pulp to garnish
- In a bowl whisk yogurt and sugar.It will become pasty.
- Add the mango pulp and whisk to mix.
- Chill till serving time.
- Serve garnished with mango pulp and some nuts.
- The yogurt has to be very thick.Else tie it up in a cheese cloth and hang it till the water drains completely.Watery yogurt spoils the dish totally.
- You can also use canned mango pulp.