Friday, May 28, 2010

Spanish Gazpacho Soup in the RAW with Broiled "Cheese" Toast

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

Question of the day.
Do you listen to your body when it craves something specifically healthy?


I have been craving raw food lately and in the form of tomatoes and soup. Something cool to refresh from the lack of A/C in my home. Ha! A/C unit hopefully to be installed this weekend BTW. Anyway, I have had 3 very ripe on the vine tomatoes staring at me and I knew I had to take a chance at making a cold tomato soup, otherwise known as gazpacho.


Gazpacho is traditionally enjoyed in Spain in the region of Andalucia. It is primarily consumed cold and is a tomato-based raw vegetable soup.


I grew up having my very American grandmother prepare this, but not in the way that many recipes explained. I could either taste too much green pepper or too much onion and it was hard to swallow. My preference was never to eat it whether it was my grandma's recipe or my own, but I broke down. My body shouted for something refreshing and therefore I heeded.


I researched traditional recipes online and in my cookbooks and I finally came to terms with my own version that proved to be SCRUMPTIOUS. Ryan even had 2nd helpings! Yay! He thought the flavor was almost sweet to the taste but perfectly spicy as it went down his throat. Hey, I liked the sound of that! I used red onion to have more sweetness instead of a strong winte onion flavor. I also used orange bell pepper because green pepper tends to give me indigestion. I really enjoyed that substitution.


I decided to make melted "cheese" toast on the side to accompany along with a spinach salad that I will share tomorrow. Daiya vegan cheddar crumbles came to the rescue and made for a delicious melted toast that completed a great summer dinner.


I hope you try this recipe, because not only was it quick, it is also VERY healthy! :)

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

Spanish Gazpacho Soup in the RAW


serves 4


3 ripe on the vine tomatoes, cored
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 of an English cucumber, peeled and seeded
4 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
1/4 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup water
2 tsp fine sea salt
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar


Place all ingredients in a blender or Vitamix and blend well until smooth for about 3 minutes.


Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.


Garnish with organic crunchy onions and chopped parsley (or dried).


Prepare "cheese" toasts.

From An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

Broiled "Cheese" Toast


serves 1


(vegan cheese toasts on the right)


2 slices rye bread
1/2 cup Daiya cheddar crumbles
2 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp salt


Postition oven rack to second to highest rack from the top. Turn oven to broil.


On baking sheet , lay out bread and split "cheese" between both slices.


Sprinkle parsley and salt and place in oven rack.


Broil until slightly browned and cheese is broiled. Slice in half once toast is somewhat cool.

2 comments:

Cynthia

OMG, so elegant, so gourmet!

singerinkitchen

Thanks and VERY quick to prepare even the husband was super suprised!

  © by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Cynthia Nelson

Back to TOP